In order to watch popular broadcasting channels using Kodi including iTV, BBC, Fox, Channel 7, 4oD, HBO, ESPN, and hundreds of other international channels, (usually geo-restricted) you will need a Kodi VPN.
What is Kodi VPN?
XBMC VPN is an encryption tool that safeguards your privacy and identity. It is by far the safest option to bypass geo-restrictions barriers from streaming Kodi channels and secure your privacy from copyright trolls. Although you might be able to access many of the TV channels for free, all US and most UK-based streaming channels (especially live TV) like ESPN and BBC Sport will be blocked, displaying the following message:
So, just how do you get rid of these geo-restrictions?
Best VPN For Kodi
|Rank||Providers||Price ($)||Discount||More Info|
2 Years Plan
3 Year Deal
Limited Time Discount
1 Year Deal
A Kodi VPN will enable you to evade all geo-restrictions and enjoy unlimited geo-restricted services on Kodi. It will mask your IP address with a foreign IP of your choice (USA, UK, Canada etc.), where the particular channel is available.
You will be able to enjoy restriction-free access to your favorite channels from anywhere in the world. User reviews and Kodi fans suggest deploying the best VPN services for Kodi due to their streaming optimized and P2P supported servers, for high-speed video & music streaming
1. NordVPN for Kodi
First on our list for VPN is NordVPN. The provider also offers wide server range for you to unblock various add-ons on Kodi. We tested NordVPN while running Kodi and were pleased with its performance. Not only did the VPN provider unblocked streaming add-ons, but it also secured our identity.
One of the prevailing issues with Kodi is getting into trouble with copyright trolls. Since a majority of the streams fetched by Kodi work on BitTorrent protocol, you could get face DMCA notices, fines, or something even worse. This is where NordVPN’s Double VPN feature and P2P support comes into play.
To learn more about how NordVPN works, view our detailed NordVPN review.
- Available in VPN Manager for OpenVPN app on Kodi
- Double VPN encryption
- A total 3579 servers
- Strict No Logs policy
- No DNS leak
- You might slower browsing due to double VPN encryption
2. PrivateVPN for Kodi
A relatively new VPN provider in the industry, PrivateVPN offers attractive features. One of the standout points about PrivateVPN is its user-friendly apps and software. You can download the service on Windows, iOS, Android or Mac, and enjoy unlimited entertainment on Kodi.
Secondly, PrivateVPN also has a price advantage over other VPN providers. Being the cheapest Kodi VPN out there, you can gain instant access while preserving your privacy online. Therefore, if you are looking for an economical VPN for Kodi, give PrivateVPN a try.
- Unblock geo-restricted IPTV Kodi channels
- Be undetectable on Kodi with military-grade encryption
- Great streaming speed for Kodi streaming
- Never contains any logs
- IPv6 Protection
- Only 100 servers when compared to other VPN providers
3. IPVanish for Kodi
IPVanish is a perfect blend for Kodi that can be found in the VPN Manager for OpenVPN addon and provides private connection to the internet. Online freedom and fast speed are its two main pillars because in order to prevent Kodi from buffering, you need a faster internet connection. Now you can stream Kodi without a trace with IPVasnish. View detailed IPVanish review for more information.
- 1,000+ VPN servers
- Fast internet speed
- Reduces Kodi buffering
- Anonymous Kodi streaming
- 256-bit VPN encryption
- Only 7-days free trial
Install IPVanish on Kodi
IPVanish can be installed in many different ways on Kodi depending on a specific device. You can install IPVanish on Kodi directly using Zomboided repository. The guide for Zomboided Repository has been discussed above. For installing IPVanish on Kodi on a Windows, the steps are highlighted below:
Step 1: First you need to Sign up to IPVanish from our Kodi VPN table
Step 2: Download IPVanish Widows App
Step 3: If it requires you to restart computer, then restart accordingly
Step 4: Enter your IPVanish credentials
Step 5: Open Kodi and start streaming video content safely.
4. VyprVPN for Kodi
VyprVPN is easily the world’s powerful VPN having the strongest VPN encryption i.e. 256-bit. It is available for all devices including Kodi where VyprVPN can be installed through Zomboided Repository as mentioned above in the guide. Never once get noticed on the internet when viewing Free Movies and TV Shows on Kodi. View detailed VYprVPN review for more information.
- Hides online activity when using Kodi
- Bypass geo-restricted Kodi content when watching Live IPTV
- Ensures privacy and security
- Improves streaming quality
- Open and secure internet
- Poor customer support
Kodi without VPN
In case you’re wondering why you need a Kodi VPN service while using Kodi? Let us get you through with a simple explanation. Kodi is a legal platform where you can view video content. Kodi only offers legal add-ons, but third-party developers came up with third-party add-ons for streaming free copyright materials.
Therefore, viewing free copyright material could get you in trouble and that is where Kodi VPN comes in. Kodi VPN will keep your online activity private and your identity hidden. There is no way any law enforcement agencies or your ISPs will be able to find you online.
Kodi without VPN will compromise your online activity. Your ISPs will be able to detect your IP address, and even your current location. You will be handed notices from the government because of violating copyright laws which will definitely get you in trouble. Therefore, Kodi without VPN is a risk and no Kodi users will dare to take it.
Is Kodi Legal?
Is Kodi legal ? Many users have been asking this question and the simple answer is yes, Kodi is legal. That said, its not as straightforward as you might think. The problem lies in how Kodi brings you content for streaming and its open-source nature.
You are able to stream content on Kodi through numerous add-ons. However, not all add-ons are official. If you stick to the official Kodi add-ons, then there is no issue of legality. On the other hand, third-party add-ons offer free content from various sources, which are illegal in many countries. These include streams working on BitTorrent protocol and unsolicited websites.
Since it is an open source software – which means you can customize the software by accessing its program codes – it is near to impossible for Kodi to shut down these third-party add-ons.
And, whenever Kodi shuts down a repository or an add-on, a new alternative or mirror rises up. Therefore, Kodi itself is completely legal, but the way third-party add-ons offer content for streaming raises a lot of questions about its legality.
Why Do I Need VPN for Kodi?
To get the most out of Kodi and enjoy limitless streaming you will require a Kodi VPN add-on. It will provide every bit of entertainment that lacks in Kodi. Following are the reasons why is a Kodi VPN needed:
- Stop ISPs from conducting deep packet inspection (DPI) and track your browsing activities
- Prevent ISPs from throttling your internet connection
- Secure your privacy and personal information from hackers, as Kodi is an open source software and is vulnerable to cyber attacks
- Unblocks geo-restricted streaming add-ons such as Fox, Channel 7, BBC iPlayer, Hulu Plus, ESPN and hundreds of other global TV channels. Use a VPN for BBC iPlayer Outside UK to unblock geo-restricted content
- Evade geo-restrictions on shows like HBO’s Game of Thrones, Netflix’s House of Cards, Arrow, NBC Parks & Recreation, Person of Interest etc.
- Avoid NSA, GCHQ, and Mossad surveillance plus snooping from other state agencies
- Access P2P & Torrents without getting tracked by copyright watchdogs
- Enable installation of blocked add-ons like Netflix XMBC on Kodi
Reasons of Using Kodi VPN
It is always recommended to use a VPN when viewing free copyright material on the internet. Third-party Kodi add-ons bring you free Movies and TV Shows and that is one of the reasons why you need to stay anonymous online. Here are some of the reasons for using Kodi VPN.
Encrypt and Anonymize your Online Activity
You don’t want anyone seeing your online activity, definitely not the law enforcement. Therefore, a good VPN will hide your online activity and your entire internet traffic from hackers, ISPs, and the government. No one can spy on your online activity when they can’t see you online at all.
Access Blocked Kodi Addons
TV Channels under Live TV Kodi add-ons are sometimes geo-restricted. Meaning, you can’t access the UK Channel on Kodi if you’re living in the US. A Kodi VPN will serve to change your US IP address into UK IP address. Thus, you can access UK Sports channels and Live TV Channels all you want.
Stay Safe Online
When it comes to staying safe online, Kodi VPN is a handy option. Streaming Kodi can sometimes be dangerous. How? You install Kodi add-ons every time without knowing that these add-ons might contain malware and spywares. The only disadvantage comes with installing third-party add-ons is that they can’t be trusted, and Kodi takes no responsibility. You can trust them until you have a Kodi VPN that saves protects your device from security and privacy risks.
Can I use Kodi without VPN
You can easily use Kodi without a VPN, as its not a prerequisite for using the streaming platform. However, it is better that you connect to a VPN to safeguard your privacy and security. Numerous third party addons of Kodi work on BitTorrent protocol, which could lead to copyright issues. Likewise, ISPs and copyright holders can monitor your internet activities and track you down.
Similarly, Kodi is vulnerable to cyber-attacks since it is an open source software. Therefore, hackers can get hold of your personal information that you enter into Kodi. With these warnings in view, it is better that you don’t use Kodi without a VPN.
How to Stream Geo-Blocked Add-ons using Kodi VPN
Ever encountered a problem where you can’t access add-ons on Kodi? This is because geo-restrictions kick in and prevent anyone outside of a designated location from viewing content on certain addons. However, with a Kodi VPN by your side, streaming geo-blocked add-ons is a walk in the park.
Bypassing geo-restrictions on Kodi using a VPN is just like unblocking content on your web browser. All you have to do is connect to a server where the addon is accessible and unblock all the content. Here’s what we did:
Here’s what we did:
- First, we accessed the BBC iPlayer addon to stream content but were shown the following error
- To overcome this error, we launched a VPN (for our demonstration, we used PureVPN)
- Enter the login credentials
- Now select a server in the UK and hit connect
- Make sure that the protocol you select is PPTP or IKEv2
- After successful connection, launch Kodi
- Now access the geo-blocked addon and enjoy streaming!
Android Boxes Supported by Kodi VPN
Android boxes, also known as Kodi boxes, are excellent for watching content on your television screen. They turn your normal LED TV into a smart TV, having the same functionalities as an Android-based smartphone. The best thing about Android boxes is that Kodi is readily available in almost all versions. You can either find Kodi through Google play store or download the APK file for the software.
As far as Kodi VPN supported Android boxes go, any VPN provider that offers an app for Android is compatible with an Android box. The most simple and quick way of setting up a Kodi VPN on Android box is by looking up the provider on Google Play Store and installing the app. On the contrary, you can also setup a VPN manually or through ES Explorer. You can also view our guide of Android VPN to secure your Android Boxes.
How to Add Channels on Kodi
Like various open source projects, Kodi doesn’t come with a pre-stored channel library. This means that subscribers need to install your Best addons on Kodi by their own. It’s a pretty simple procedure and we have listed it step by step for our dear readers, so they can freely add channels on the latest version of Kodi:
- Launch the Kodi player
- In the main menu, scroll to Videos from the left pane. You will be able to see “File”, “Playlists” and “Video add-ons”. Click on Video add-ons button
- Upon clicking Video add-ons a window with various add-ons will appear
- Scroll your cursor to the lower-left corner of the screen and tap on options icon
- From the options panel, click on Get more. You will be presented with various broadcasting channels to stream from. Select the channel you wish to add to your library. For instance, I have selected 1Channel
- In the add-on installation, dialogue box click on install
- The add-on will be downloaded and you will be able to see “tick mark” before channel’s name
- Click on the channel and activate it
- The channel content will now be ready for streaming; we can now proceed by selecting the desired program from 1Channel
- You are now ready to watch desired media on Kodi. Enjoy!Follow our guide and add your favorite TV channels, video streaming services, music stations, apps, and games
Apart from 1Channel, you can watch countless channels on Kodi by installing thousands of add-ons of including ESPN3, Fox News, ET Canada, BBC iPlayer WWW, MTV.de, MTV.it on demand, NFL Game Pass, Disney channel and much more. A VPN for KODI will let you circumvent any geo-restrictions instantly and allow you to watch your favorite channels hassle free.
How to Setup Kodi VPN on Firestick /Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV users can enjoy unlimited geo-restricted content on Kodi using a Kodi VPN compatible with Amazon Fire TV. You can follow our very easy guide to setup Kodi on Fire TV / Firestick. Once you have install Kodi on Firestick / TV, it’s time to remove the restriction and access unlimited action, adventure, Live TV, documentaries and sports channels on Kodi.
To setup a Kodi VPN on Firestick, you need to follow the below-outlined steps:
- Go to Settings > System > Developer Options > Turn ON ADB Bugging and Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Now go to Home Screen by tapping on Home Button
- Go to Apps option located in the menu above > Scroll down to select Collections > Clik on New Releases and Updates
- Now look for the App called ‘Downloader’ > It’s a free app so download it. Do not pay anything for downloading this application
- Now click on Open once you download it > Click on Browser option located in the left-side menu
- Change the web address to ‘https://purevpn.com’ (or any other VPN provider web address)
- Now click on ‘Get PureVPN’
- Now go back to Browser option > Now click on the three-line menu located at the right side > It would open various options so click on Apps
- Click on Download > Direct APK Download (If it present you with this option)
- It will take a few minutes downloading PureVPN on your Firestick
- Now click on Install > Click Done
- Click Home Button > Apps and Games > PureVPN
- Login User ID and Password
- You’re ready to use it on Firestick
How to Setup Kodi VPN on Router Installation Guide
Setting up a VPN on routers provides a great advantage than configuring the service individually on each device. By doing so, your entire internet traffic goes through a secure VPN tunnel, helping you conceal your identity and bypass all forms of restrictions when using Kodi. In the below demonstration, we will be showing you how to setup Kodi VPN on any router.
Step 1: Register to PureVPN from the VPN table provided
Step 2: Now you need to flash DD-WRT on your router
Step 3: Now you have to create DD-WRT Password
Step 4: Set the Time Zone on your DD-WRT page
Step 5: Here you need to setup SSIDs for each of the channel on your router
Step 6: With the help of WPA2 encryption, secure your wireless channels
Step 7: Enter PureVPN credentials
Step 8: Consider changing your IP Address to 192.168.2.1
Step 9: Before you reset cable modem, try connecting LAN port from primary router to a WAN port of VPN router
Step 10: Use internet and check whether this process has worked
Setup Kodi VPN through Tomato Routers
In the below demonstration, we will be showing you how to setup Kodi VPN on Tomato routers using PPTP protocol.
- Launch Tomato router control panel and login
- Navigate to Basic > then Network from the left panel
- From the dropdown menu, select the Connection Type
- Now enter the login credentials of your VPN service
- Do ensure that Use DCHP and Use Default Gateway on Remote Network are checked
- Enter the server address you want to connect to PPTP Gateway
- Select Keep Alive for the Connection Mode from the drop-down menu
- Now check if the MTU is set to default and your LAN or Wireless Settings are also set to default
- In addition, don’t change Subnet Mask or Options field
- Scroll down to the page and hit Save
- Your VPN connection should now be up and running
Kodi VPN on Retro Pie
The installation process of Kodi VPN on Retro is very similar to the Kodi method for Desktop or Windows, but it requires a great deal of patience. There are two parts of Kodi VPN setup on Retro Pie. The first part requires you to install VPN Manager for OpenVPN as described above alongside the video. Now follow the steps highlighted below:
Step 1: Go back to Kodi Main Screen > Click on Add-ons > Then Program Add-ons
Step 2: Open VPN Manager for OpenVPN > Click on Add-on Settings
Step 3: Enter the Username and Password of your VPN provider
Step 4: Tap on the option Debug on the left vertical menu
Step 5: Enable Debug for just VPN Manager option
Step 6: Also Enable the option ‘Always use Kodi Log Directory for OpenVPN Log’
Step 7: Now go back again to VPN Connections section on the left-side menu
Step 8: Select First VPN Connection > Choose Servers
Step 9: If this works for you, then you can verify it by click on the option Display VPN Status > If you face an error ‘OpenVPN Executable isn’t working, check the log’, then you need to proceed further
Step 10: Exit Kodi > Load your Raspberry Pi into EmulationStation > Once loaded, tap on F4 Key on your keypad and it will take you to command prompt style screen.
Step 11: Now type these commands exactly as they are provided:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openvpn
sudo apt-get install psmisc
Step 12: Go back to Kodi and everything will work perfectly
How to Setup Kodi VPN on iPhone, iPad and more iOS Devices
Apple iPhone and iPad are hallmarks of superior features, elegant design, top-grade security and over-the-top looks. But, when it comes to Kodi on iPhone and iPad, one can’t simply access leading channels and streaming services on these devices due to geo-restrictions. Thus, we have listed a simple setup process below that will guide you to install best Kodi VPN on iPhone and iPad. Moreover if you have already installed Kodi, you might be interested in updating kodi on different platforms. After installation or updating to latest Kodi version, you are free to watch your favorite media.
After KodiVPN installation on an iOS device, you will achieve one-touch access to world of restriction-free on-demand entertainment from anywhere in the world.
Here’s how to setup Kodi VPN on iPhone, iPad and other iOS devices:
- On your iPhone, Go to App Store
- Next, search for VPN Provider
- Download and install VPN on your iPhone, iPad or any other iOS device
- Upon successful installation, launch VPN, go to servers’ list and connect to US server
- Finally, launch Kodi on iPhone and enjoy streaming unlimited channels and add-ons that were previously unavailable to you
VPN OpenELEC Kodi
OpenELEC is a fork of the original streaming service Kodi. It boasts addons through which you can setup a VPN directly onto Kodi. However, this option has lost its charm as only one VPN service is supported by OpenELEC. With the exception of Private Internet Access (PIA), it once used to support a variety of VPN providers such as IPVanish, and VyprVPN. Therefore, if you are going to use OpenELEC on Kodi, make sure you an active account for PIA.
OpenELEC Errors on Kodi
As of late, OpenELEC has started to display various errors to Kodi users. Here are some OpenELEC errors and their fixes:
- Check the Log for More Information: currently, only PIA VPN is compatible with OpenELEC, but this error appears when you try to setup PIA. To fix this problem, we would recommend that you follow the steps for VPN Manager for OpenVPN and use the desired VPN through this add-on.
- Size Check Failed Error: this issue is present in Jarvis v16 version of Kodi and occurs when you try to update the ION system. One way overcoming this issue is by resizing the partitions through Tuxboot, as it will lay out the new partitions as SDA1 and SDA2.
- Error Script Failed VPN for OpenELEC: if you are using a Raspberry Pi 2, you will encounter this issue frequently. The problem lies with the small CPU or limited processing power of Pi2. One way of resolving this issue is by updating OpenELEC version and use a Micro SD card for additional storage. If that doesn’t help, then we would recommend upgrading to Pi 3.
How to Setup VPN on LibreELEC
LibreELEC is an operating system that works well with Kodi when using it on Raspberry Pi. The steps are presented below:
Step 1: Download LibreELEC Windows app for your respective device
Step 2: Once the App is downloaded, Open the LibreELEC app
Step 3: A box will pop-up which will have 4 steps.
Step 4: In step 1, select the right model of Raspberry Pi and in Step 2, Hit Download
Step 5: In Step 3, it will ask for your SD card or a USB Drive, so choose accordingly
Step 6: In Step 4, it will ask if you want to write into an SD card. Press Write option.
Step 7: Now insert the SD card on your Raspberry Pi and install LibreELEC through which you can install Kodi
Step 8: Once Kodi is installed, you can follow the VPN Manager for OpenVPN process mentioned in this guide and video above.
Datho VPN Kodi Add-on
Datho VPN offers a dedicated add-on for Kodi. It unblocks a vast selection of top-quality legal content on Kodi apps. Various popular add-ons are geo-restricted in a majority of regions including BBC, iPlayer, iTV, AMC, A&E, ESPN, and many other US broadcasting channels. Moreover, Datho VPN on Kodi gives you access to the exclusive library of streaming services like Netflix US library, HULU, FOX, ESPN and many others in your region.
Datho VPN on Kodi also provides restriction-free access to live events including NFL Game Pass, MLB.TV, NBA International League Pass and NHL GameCenter from geo-restricted regions. You can enjoy the unlimited action from the playoffs, season fixtures and live and on-demand games that were previously unavailable for you.
How to Setup Datho VPN on Kodi
Step 1: Download DathoVPN Repository from HERE and save it on your system
Step 2: Now open Kodi > Select Add-ons option > Go to Package Installer icon (a box-shaped icon on top-left corner)
Step 3: Click on Install from Zip File > Upload or Navigate the Zip File that you downloaded in Step 1 and wait for it to install
Step 4: Now select Install from Repository option > Find Datho Add-on Repository from the list and click on it > Then select Program Add-ons > DathoVPN > Click Install
Step 5: It will take few minutes to install the add-on. Once installation is completed go back to Kodi Home Screen > Add-ons > Program Add-ons > DathoVPN
Step 6: Enter Username and Password > Type Server Address > Change the operating system from OpenElec to Windows > Click OK